Thursday, August 30, 2007

Wild animal

Today's post won't be long, but I figured those of you in the Meeteetse area would appreciate this. My grandpa called last night and being the joker he is asked me when I was planning on camping up at his place again. Knowing my grandpa, there was something going on. He giggled a little and when I said not any time soon, he sounded disappointed. Then I really knew something was going on. He then told me that my uncle and aunt (who live on the river on my grandpas place) had a guest. Evidently Casey (my aunt) was walking on a regularly travelled trail on the river bottom when to her surprise a bear...... oh yes it was definitely a bear........ walked in front of her. She freaked, turned around and headed right back into her house. When she called my grandpa he asked what kind of bear it was and she quickly replied with "How would I know, I got the hell out of there."

The bear has been around there for about a week now. He decided to get into their burn barrels too. He didn't want to take out food or make a mess, he just grabbed a beer box full of empty cans and carefully set it off to the side of the barrels before leaving it.......... Oh, it is a black bear for those of you that are wondering. When the game warden went down to check things out, grandpa showed him where a hole had been dug through the porch of the pump house and partially under the building. The game warden told him that wasn't the bear, but most likely a badger..... Grandpa said his place is being taken over by wild animals. After stopping at the pump house they went over to a rotten tree that had fallen behind my aunt and uncles. All of the limbs had been torn off and they were situated into a nest. This was conveniently behind my uncle and aunts house. When we think nest we usually think mountain lion, but no, it was the bear. I guess they make day nests. This bear has been sleeping behind their house for who knows how long, during the day when there is the most activity. This wouldn't be frightening, but the bear is injured. They don't know what is exactly wrong, but he has a limp.

So, who knows what the game warden will decide, but this just goes to show that Meeteetse is a place where the wild animals love to be. (for those of you that aren't familiar with my grandpas property, it is 4 miles up river from town.) Needless to say, I won't be setting up tent there for a while. Sorry there aren't any pics today, but take care and I will post more later.

4 comments:

Maggie said...

hehehehe

petecobb99 said...

mmmmmmm...

gardenboy said...

we aren't quite as remote as Meeteetse where we live in Vt but is off the beaten path. Last Monday we were taking one of the dogs to the vet and a large black bear ambled across the road in front of our car. He scrambled up the bank and watched us watch him. Where was that camera again? Oh yeah at home

amy said...

i love wild animal stories!