Friday, August 3, 2007

Rainy Opportunity

As most of you know Wyoming is known for many things..... Cowboys, Yellowstone, being dry.......... Well I have to say things changed quickly last night. We marked one of those off of the list about 9 last night. The rain started................ The cracking of the thunder was so loud that our house was shaking and you could see the light flashing the instant the sound overtook the area. It was so big and so close we almost didn't notice the stuff falling from the sky. IT WAS RAIN!!!!!! There was water rushing down the street like it was a river and it just kept on coming down. By about 9:30 it was so loud and scary that I decided I would just go to sleep before the power went out that way I wouldn't have to be awake for that part of the storm (we just knew it would happen). Going to sleep sounds so easy, but it isn't when there is so much noise and light coming through a window, but somehow I accomplished this feat. This morning we woke up to news reports saying that we broke a daily rainfall record......... better yet we crushed it. Before last night the record was .71 in and after that big storm it now stands at 2.21 inches...........Yes we got a lot of rain really fast. But all I can think is thank goodness I didn't water before that came down........... it would have been a waste of money.

So, being the crazy people we are we decided to capitalize on the cool wet weather that we are experiencing. You see, we have a wasp problem. It isn't the first time this has been an issue...... last year was quite a rodeo in that area. I will start there.

Last summer we had a lot of wasps around. Since I am deathly allergic it made for a frightening situation. They had made a huge nest along the foundation of the house. During one rain storm, Colin decided to spray them. Although there were many laying there dead, there was one resilient wasp out for revenge..........and he knew who killed his friends. Colin wanted to run into the house, but he had this angry wasp that he couldn't get off of him. Finally after weaving through the patio furniture he made the decision to come into the house ( I think the trail of wasps following him was good motivation.) When he got into the house I was holding Jason and trying to kill the wasp that clung to him. I brushed it loose, but then it made its way to Colin's neck stinging him. Colin mashed it like a mosquito and all I could do was laugh. It was so funny.

On the attack.

So, when we had a nest appear this year Colin was very apprehensive to go on the attack, but this rain offered a perfect time. Unlike last year it was a success. He sprayed it then knocked it down with a shovel before spraying it again. I think he was more prepared.

I know this is a long post, but hey that is me...... I hope you all have a wonderful waspless weekend. Later...............

My big boy.....Growing up too fast (he doesn't even look like a baby anymore), he took this one himself.

1 comment:

Maggie said...

That picture of Colin made me laugh so hard!!!

And yes, your little boy is growing fast, but he is still a baby. Hold on while you can.