Monday, October 8, 2007

What a game!!!

Every weekend tends to be a success for us, but some are better than others. I think the ones where we paint are the worst.... I hate to paint. There was no painting over this last weekend, but there was plenty more going on to keep us busy.

On one of our walks I was able to get much better antelope pics for Amy. Just as we made our way into the open area where we can let the dogs run...... we were met by fellow. He didn't make for a good pic though, since he was so busy guarding his herum. We were able to watch this buck fight with a little spike our entire walk. It was quite entertaining.



Click on the pics and you can get a better view.


This is the little spike after he got whooped up on.

Walking is always a blast. I love it when it is cool out and when the wind isn't blowing out of control. The walk is always ruined when Jason loses his hat.

Walking with dad........ avoiding cactus.

The weather was nice enough to let Jason walk a lot on his own. The wind wasn't strong enough to blow him over and the ground was dry enough so that he didn't just crash and burn on the slick mud. He had a blast..... walking like a big boy......... yelling at the dogs......... and inspecting rocks (I swear the kid is going to be a geologist too.)

Loving the independence.

We didn't just walk all weekend though. There were oh so many good games on. To start, there was the Wyoming game. WOOOOO!!!!!HOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!! We won!!!! The celebration was just beginning though. The Rockies showed everyone who is boss, not once, but twice. Always love to see that. Go Rockies!!! Sure, there was the disappointment that the Broncos brought on...... but we won't discuss that and further.

What is a good game without good food? It just wouldn't be complete. So, Saturday morning I got on my cooking cap and the work began. With the weather cooling off, I crave homemade food. One of my favorites it one that my mom and grandma taught me........ homemade chicken and noodles. It isn't quite a soup more like a thick stew, but is so yummy. After chopping up all of the good veggies and starting the chicken, I began to roll out my noodles. I have to say it was completely worth it. It was my best batch yet and I didn't think I could like that dish any more than before, but I do. Then I wanted a good desert and pumpkin pie sounded the best of all. It couldn't be made with the canned pumpkin either........ that just tastes like pooooooooo. So, I processed a pumpkin. It took a while to puree all of the orange stuff, but the final product was so worth it and I even have some puree left over for a few more pies (we will need that).

Jason's way of helping chop veggies...... effective as you can see.

Now here we are, another week has already started. Time is zooming by. I am already into my second trimester (woooooo!!!!! hoooo!!!!!! over 1/3 of the way there) and Jason is growing up with every passing day. So here we go for another big week. Have a great one....... take care and we will have much more fun to share with you soon.

7 comments:

amy said...

Hey - thanks for the antelope pictures! I still think it's so neat that you see these buggers on your walks. And, you make your won noodles? Is it hard?

Moody Family said...

Noodles are super easy. They leave a flour mess, but that is easy enough to clean up. Once you make them, you will never go back to packaged. Just eggs, flour, and a little salt. A very simple mix.... I guess rolling them out can make your arms tired because it is a stiff mix. Try it and you won't regret it.

Maggie said...

amy don't listen to her... lori is practically martha stewart combined with all the food channel chefs...

Moody Family said...

Don't listen to Maggie....... she isn't giving you the whole story.... I can make some things, but not that many. Just the things my mom taught me to make when I was young. Besides that I look at cooking like this.... if you don't try you never know if you can do it or if you like it. So I try everything at least once and change it to make it fit my preferences or scrap it all together. I am not martha stewart though. Nothing turns out perfectly pretty and some of it tastes really bad. I tend to throw that stuff out and never talk about it again. It is always worth a try. Go on dive in and make some noodles..... it will be a fun start.

amy said...

ok, martha...do you have any tips for making noodles? what is your recipe for them?

Moody Family said...

Ok, here goes my best interpretation of the noodle recipe. First the number of eggs you use determines the size of your batch. For a normal size batch.... a small pot. I would use 3 eggs. sprinkle a dash of salt over the eggs and mix, but don't over do it. Then you add flour slowly until you can't incorporate any more. It will be really stiff and shouldn't be sticky. I recomend using your hands to do it though, since the mess will just stick to a spoon. Also, if you get it on your clothes it sets up like concrete. Once you have your noodle mix finished. sprinkle the table with flour..... roll them out, the thinner the more quickly they will cook. Let them sit and dry for about 1/2 to 1 1/2 hours then cut them into strips. When you add to a soup be sure it is at a rolling boil and add them one noodle at a time so that they don't stick. Let your soup simmer for at least an hour. It will taste better the longer it has to combine. As my mom always told me, you make it once and then you work with the proportions until you find what works for you. My mom uses less flour and lets the noodles dry longer. I like instant gratification, so I add a little more flour like my great grandma used to. Good luck with the cooking...... it will be fun, like any messy thing is. Enjoy.

amy said...

ok, i'll give it a go...probably not till next week. but i'll let you know how it went! thanks!