Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Big scare!!!

I have discussed some of Jason's mishaps in the past and they always turn out OK. We have avoided visits to the ER by the hair of our chinny chin chin a couple of times. I always knew they day would come when he would warrant a trip to the doc for an emergency, but no one can really prepare themselves for that moment.

It all began yesterday when we were playing in the front yard. I was cleaning up some stuff in the flower beds and Jason was driving his trucks. All was well at first...... Jason was making his truck noises and I was digging away. Then Jason got quiet. I looked at him in just enough time to see him grab for a wasp. Flashes of his swollen body went through my mind, since I am horribly allergic to the buggers. He had never been stung so we didn't know how he would react. As with all stings, it hurt. Jason grabbed his hand dropping his truck and fell to the ground screaming. He was smashing his head over and over into the grass and clutching his hand tightly. I dropped everything I was doing and ran over to inspect. Knowing what can happen if he were allergic, I began to feel panic come over me. I picked him up and rushed him inside, grabbed the phone to call the doc (I have him on speed dial), grabbed the Benadryl and gave him a dose while I was calling, then I grabbed my credit card and scraped the stinger out. By the time that I talked to the doc, the swelling had went up into his arm so the nurse said to bring him in right away. I packed him into the car, he was still screaming and in pain, and we took off to the doc. By the time we got there he was calming down. Then you could tell that the Benadryl was kicking in. The swelling was slowing down and he was yawning. After talking to the doc for a while we decided that he would be OK this time, but it looks like this is going to be a big allergy in the future for the little man. So, at his two year appt. we will have to discuss all of the things we need to do if he is stung again.

We got home about 2 hours after all of this began because I brought him to get a little ice cream for being such a good boy. I felt terrible. That was the first time that I was unable to do anything to take the pain away. I told myself that I would never panic when he got hurt, but now I know that you can tell yourself something as much as you want and you won't really know how you will react until you experience it. At least in my panic mode I was still able to do what was needed. So, here we are both allergic to wasps...... Colin is going to be on extermination patrol next year and every year after that. I hope all of you had a much better day than us. Now we are looking forward to one of those relaxing days. I think a walk and some Legos are in our near future. Have a good one and I hope to have fun stuff to share tomorrow.

2 comments:

Maggie said...

Oh poor little bugger! I'm glad he's okay now. I can't believe you still have wasps though... isn't it too cold? Well sounds like somebody needs a good dose of ice cream for the next couple days and then all should be well in the world again.

gardenboy said...

Did you have to use your credit crd to remove the stinger? Do you think you will be charged for this medical procedure?

Couple of weeks ago I got about 25 splinters in my forearm. Wish I had had your credit card. I could have relieved the pain rather quickly if I could have charged some things.
Glad your lil' man is okay. Ice cream seems to always help.