Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Where are the keys?

I am sure that most people have those days when they feel like they are losing their minds, but in my case this is a very common thing.

The frustration was strong and the tears were welling up in my eyes. I had just lost the camera over the weekend and now the keys were gone. It was one of those moments when a person feels helpless, angry, and sad all at the same time. To top it off we were down to 1 diaper in the house..........................enough said.

Jason on his diaper box telling me how the cow ate the cabbage.

The morning began like any other. I made breakfast, Jason ran around screaming, then at 7:30 he sat down to watch Jo Jo's Circus while I got ready for the day. It is a simple and effective system. After I finished getting ready I was going to pull the car out of the garage and go to the store because our diaper supply was running low. This is not a comfortable situation ever. The thoughts of life without diapers were flashing through my head. It would be much worse than training a puppy. It would leave us with months of clean up. A very frightening picture to say the least.

The search went on for 3 hours before I called Colin and asked him if he had seen them. I would have called him earlier, but I was trying to save face since I had just lost the camera. He said that he hadn't seen them, so after a phone call I wasn't any closer to finding the lost keys. Jason just followed me around the house giggling and jabbering. Finally I asked him if he had seen the keys. He answered with a high pitched NO!! followed by a giggle. This is how he says yes. So the search expanded.

I began looking in every drawer, cupbord, behind books, inside the dishwaser, and even in the nasty garbage (rotten chicken and dirty diapers......not good). It was horrible and quite stinky at times. You may be wondering why I believe an 18 month old...............well...................he hasn't lied about the keys up to this point. The search continued.

After 4 hours of searching, expressing my pain on the phone to mom, and hearing the biggest nightmare key story in the world, I was done looking. Now it was time to just accept the fact they were gone. I had ripped my house apart and still no keys.

On a side note: I must tell you the story mom told me. Her cousin was about 18 months old in the 40's. At that time cars had bench seats and seatbelts were not in use. So........Her Aunt was driving down the highway with her young son next to her on the seat. Out of no where he reached over pulled the keys out of the ignition and threw them out the window. It was that moment that everyone knew that he would be a baseball player. And it was that moment in the story that I realized how lucky I was. I didn't have to search on the side of the road for my keys. THANK GOD!!!!!!!

Taking the keys into the abyss.

When I had finally come to the conclusion that the keys were gone..............the phone rang. It was Colin. He had such a funny story...................THE KEYS WERE IN HIS POCKET!!!!! So, the drama ended and I have never been so happy to see keys in my life. Jason still had a little room in his last diaper and even though Colin had caused this mess, he also saved the day.

This little tale of pain and suffering will go down in my book in a chapter labelled NOT FUNNY!!!!

2 comments:

The Kinley's said...

Keys are lost constantly in the Kinley household. Of course only by me and Travis likes to remind me of that everytime the hunt is on. Funny how they never seem to remember all the other things that they lose, but yet we are suppose to know the location of a tool we have never touched in our lives....chuckle..chuckle! Have a good day!!

Moody Family said...

You hit that nail square on the head. Lord knows that Colin never loses keys, but who knows where the tool monster keeps all of the tools.