Wednesday, July 4, 2007

4th continued: Forcast- Indegestion

The USA is known for so many different things, but one thing that stands out is that our population is so much more overweight than any other. Our eating habits are addressed on a regular basis by health professionals world wide. So, until today it always baffled me as to why an American didn't win the famous Nathan's hot dog eating contest that none other than Kobayashi is so famous for dominating. But, today the yellow belt stays here on American soil.

YES!!!! Kobayashi consumed an incredible 63 hot dogs, but Joey Chestnut came in with a whopping 66. A new world record, beating his previous record set in June at 59 1/2.

It was such a close contest throughout and i saw something on TV that I have never seen broadcast and hope to never see it again. In the eating world there are some terms that are used to make disgusting things less.........well.......disturbing. I am referring to the term reversal. I will save you all from the description of this term, but its meaning was obvious during the contest. Only in the eating world could you see a reversal and then see someone proceed to consume that reversal. If that wasn't disturbing enough......it was followed up by a slow motion replay. I do like the fact that the play by play man threw in the quick blip about avoiding what in the eating world is called the spray zone.

Despite the shocking end.......it was a contest that had Jason and I on the edge of our seats. Now I guess it will be another year of anticipation...........

Once again Happy 4th of July everyone. Enjoy those hot dogs....................

4 comments:

Maggie said...

Ahh... I missed the only thing I truly like about this holiday. Pray for reruns!!! Is Jason going to start competing???

Moody Family said...

I really hope not....then I would have to watch and witnessing a stranger perform a reversal is a heck of a lot easier than watching someone you love do it.......might I say Traumatizing!!!!!!!!!1

petecobb99 said...

i've been watching this for more years than i care to admit and i must say that this year was one of the truly most memorable, disgusting, riveting ten minutes of tv i've seen in ages...

Zack and Jenny said...

We were in Idaho for the 4th and missed the contest live, but I saw reruns and I have a few things to point out. First, what happened to the "tsunami" is technically called a "reversal of fortune." Second, "reversal of fortune" is usually an automatic DQ but for some reason the judges decided not to DQ Takeru. He should have been DQ'd.