Friday, March 23, 2007

To Save a Leg!!!

The not so sweet beagle.. Moe

We may not have a lot of really exciting things happen here in the windy city of Casper, but there are some really funny stories. As I have mentioned earlier, Colin and I have spent many hours cleaning our back yard. If you look at the pictures you will see some concrete cylinders that are used for landscaping. For some reason unknown to us, the previouse owner had many of these. To clean up, we decided to stack them against the fence (Colin did most of that while I raked, but I did help decide where they were going to go, so this tale can be blamed on both of us). Another one of our bright ideas. We stacked them fairly high, but thought that there was no way the dogs could get up on top of those. If they did, they surely wouldn't be stupid enough to jump the high fence. Famouse last words...........................................
The cylinders are at the left of the pic
The next day Colin went to work, Jason was crying, Mae was barking at the back door.........................but where was Moe? I had no clue. I brought our screaming son outside searching and screaming. After looking if there was a way for her to get out I was just getting ready to run around the neighborhood looking, despite the fact I hadn't found a plausible exit. Then I thought I would try one more trick, offer a treat. What dog can turn down a yummy cracker. I yelled out the door and low and behold I heared a loud howl. You know that piercing hound dog sound. It was Moe and she was in the yard behind us. She had climbed the stack of concrete cylinders and jumped the fence. I am sure the landing wasn't gracefull either. So, thinking my adventure was over I went and knocked on the neighbor's door to get her back.............................no one was home. The back yard didn't have a gate so the only way to retrieve the trader of a beagle was to go over the same way Moe went. To make this even more of an adventure, there were 4 other dogs in the yard. None of them seemed to pleased to have me looking over their fence either. They weren't small either.................Big Dogs!!!!!!! Suprisingly enough, Moe had taken her position as boss in that yard though. I had to get that dog back over though. So..... I took a deep breath, put Jason inside and proceeded to jump the fence. This wasn't an easy task on it's own. It led to many splinters and a cut on my palm. But when I got over the race was on I threw Moe over the fence, she did not land gracefully, then I climbed it as fast as I could with four dogs biting at my feet and growling. When I landed back in our yard I was so happy and angry at Moe. You would think that this would be the end of it. I even moved some of the cylinders so that she couldn't jump it again. So much for that because an hour later Moe was back over there and the process had to be repeated. But that night Colin fixed everything and I hope I won't have to jump that fence any time soon. The moral of this story is to never trust a beagle and to work fast otherwise you might lose a leg.

2 comments:

Maggie said...

You definately have the most interesting stories! I might have to bring Glacier over to keep Moe in line.

petecobb99 said...

lori,
i just watched 'irack' and it is hilarious! thanks