Thursday, March 22, 2007

The Chair

The star of this story

We all know that some people have the ability to injure themselves with any object given to them. Some even have the talent of injuring themselves without any object. Colin and I are what some may call blessed with that very talent. So, of course, it was inevitable that Jason would possess the same ability. To get to my point…… Jason loves to sit in any chair. But, the problem is that all of the chairs in our house are large and when he falls off of those it isn’t pretty. So, yesterday I was in Big Lots getting a few groceries when I saw a little lawn chair for toddlers. It was only $2.50 and it was just his size. I was thinking…How could I go wrong with this purchase? It wasn’t until I got home that I started to wonder how Jason would actually use the chair. The possibilities are endless. But knowing his bloodline I should have thought he would hurt himself in one way or another.
Trying to find the next venue

He was really curious at first, but then he made a decision on how to use the chair. Jason thought the best use of this new “toy” would be to carry it around and put it next to things that were too high for him to reach. He would then climb up onto the chair and retrieve the object of interest. I saw this and began to chase him around telling him no and I even took the chair away. Jason of course saw me touch the chair and proceeded to come over to me, tell me no and pull my hand off of the chair. If he couldn’t touch it neither could I. Reasonable for a 14 month old, but frustrating for a parent.

Later in the day he walked over to the chair and decided to lean against it. If you look at the pictures it isn’t the most stable chair. So, the result of this lean was a huge crash into the book case. This left a large bruise on his forehead and led to a new found hatred toward the chair. After a short cry, Jason made the decision to dispose of his new enemy. What better place than somewhere he can’t access it again…….. The other side of the baby gate. So, that was the end of the chair for Jason, at least for one day.

Saying goodbye to the chair

Today I pulled out the chair again. It turns out Jason would prefer not to think about what happened yesterday, but he did learn something. He uses it for sitting today. He grabs his juice and sits in the chair to relax and drink. What a transformation from throwing it over the gate. So, he has decided the chair is his friend and I look forward to seeing what other crazy thing he decides to do because every day with Jason is full of suprises.

3 comments:

Maggie said...

HAHAHA. I know its not funny that he got hurt, but his whole behavior is hilaroius! I love how he told you no, and I also love how he got rid of the chair! Keep us posted on how he treats the chair in the future. :) :) :)

Zack and Jenny said...

Lori that was a cute post, it is funny how young ones view things. He is getting so big! Definitely keep us updated as to the chair escapades. :)

petecobb99 said...

hahahahaha...welcome to the ever-entertaining world of parenthood!