Monday, December 17, 2007

Bye Bye stinky!!!!!

It might have been a long weekend for Colin..... kind of. He didn't go into work on Friday, but definitely had to work. Friday morning we woke up to the stinky bedroom for the last time. No, we didn't eat beans or anything, it was the carpet. The carpet was so bad that it made the whole house, especially our bedroom smell like dog pee (thanks to the previous owners lack of cleaning skills and two untrained dogs). It was such a strong stink that it could give a person a belly ache. When we awoke to the strong smell on Friday and Colin finally said... ENOUGH!!!! We got up and ready to go and price some laminate flooring. Before leaving the house we took everything out of our bedroom. It was a lot easier than we thought it would be.
Before..............



After making our purchase it was time to begin. We quickly got all of the flooring inside to adjust to the indoor climate (it was inside the store too) so that we could do it all in one day. Sure, that might sound like high hopes, but we were game. After unloading, it was time to take out the stinky carpet.


Some of the carpet stink revealed.

We thought the smell was bad when the carpet was down, that was before we pulled it up. It was the most disgusting thing I have ever seen. Some of the stains were so bad and obviously reoccurring stains that they ate through the carpet backer (decomposed it) and the remaining sludge had dried to the sub floor.

It was a smelly, yucky job that most people would even have nightmares about. Colin got the chunks of carpet out of the house while I vacuumed up the mess and sprayed the spots with bleach water. It was a task getting the smell out with nearly straight bleach, but the smell was finally gone. Our floor looked better with just the bare sub-floor than it did with the carpet.
Hard at work.......

There was a small break there so that we could be sure the floor was dry and the planks were completely adjusted to the bedrooms climate. About 2 in the afternoon we go busy. Colin cut the sections while I snapped them in (I had the easiest job by far). Once we got into a groove, the time flew by. I took one short break to make some dinner and it was back to work. Jason was such a good boy letting us do our jobs and only gouging the wall with the hammer in one spot.

The finished product.............




At about 8, thing began to wind down. Colin gave Jason a bath while I cleaned up the mess we made. Once Jason was out, Colin and I finished by puting our stuff back into our room. It was all finished and reassembled by 9. I still can't believe how fast that floor went in. In one day we got rid of the bad smell for good. It rocks.

The next morning I woke up and could barely move. My back was so sore (don't really know why it hurt that bad). Colin picked up my slack by taking care of Jason. I could hold him if I were sitting, but it took me 5 minutes just to get from the bed to the bathroom that is connected to our bedroom. We did make a trip to the dump (to dispose of the nasty carpet) and home depot (to pick up thresholds and molding). After resting for half of the day, I felt much better. I was still sore, but at least I could walk at a decent pace. Colin put in the thresholds and we were done. I still can't believe how good that floor looks and what a difference it makes in our whole house. It cleans up easily and the best part is, you can actually get it clean. Colin and I love it so much that we can't stop looking at it. I think the molding will go up on Friday of this week.

Over the weekend we also had a mini Christmas. Jason enjoyed the Lego's that were added to his collection. The kiddo won't stop playing with them. It is pretty cool to see him build things and tell you what they are.


Jason playing with his big Lego collection.

Colin got a new set of golf clubs and some under armour. My men were so happy that it couldn't have been a better weekend.

Colin's new clubs.

On Sunday I celebrated my gift again by making cookies. This time I made Andes chocolate chip and white chocolate chip pecan. That mixer is getting better every time I use it. I am attached.


My beautiful red beast!!!

I hope all of you had a great weekend and are all ready for the big holiday just around the corner. We are ready for another short week and a very exciting Christmas vacation. Take care everyone and I will have more to post soon.......






1 comment:

amy said...

Wow - the floor came out awesome...i can't believe all the pee stains on the old carpet - nasty!!!