Thursday, June 14, 2007

Words only a mother can love

As a proud parent of one boy and two dogs I have a lot to celebrate. Each day is a surprise though. Will it be a new tooth or trick performed by Jason or will one of the dogs do something that they want to show off? It is almost like a competition. We aren't into the meat of the day yet and Mae, Moe and Jason are off to quite the start.

It all began with Moe getting into the garbage (for the 2nd time in 24 hours). Obviously this is a common thing in our house, but this morning it had a twist. When I yelled at her she pulled her head out of the garbage and to both of our surprise she had a yogurt container stuck, snugly on her nose. Despite early efforts she couldn't get it off and quickly ran over to me crying. After getting a good laugh out of it I decided to remove the container and just hope she learned a lesson. Who am I kidding? Of course she didn't learn anything from that experience, she never does.

After the garbage fiasco, it was time for Mae to get her time in the spotlight. Last night Colin noticed a dead bird in the lawn. It appeared to be mauled by a dog, but we weren't sure if one of the dogs actually killed it. This morning Mae wanted to be sure we knew how birds die on this property. I was sitting on the deck drinking my morning coffee when I noticed Mae stalking a robin in the corner of the yard. She snuck up and got within 3 feet of it when it took flight. The stupid bird made one fatal mistake though............it flew toward Mae. It underestimated her jumping abilities and lost it's life. Mae jumped high into the air and snagged the helpless bird. At first I was shocked, but it was her next move that was entertaining. She brought the bird to the door and barked to get my attention (which she already had in full). She wanted to bring the dead animal into the house. I quickly disposed of the creature, but am still in disbelief that our Mae dog kills birds. We always compare her and Moe to Lenny and George, but this just reaffirms that theory. Moe is the brains and Mae will forever be our loving dog-child.



Jason with his box of inspiration.

To top off this morning, Jason had to get his two cents in as well. He has been learning new words every day. Most of the time he just copies what we say (we hope he only says the good words, but he seems to catch on to the inappropriate ones). Yesterday he learned a short word, 'OK'. We expect these types of words, but always think that the bigger words are a few months into the future. It all happened while I was rooting through the medicine cabinet in the bathroom. Jason came in and saw his box of band aids. They have a big picture of Sponge Bob on the front of them. He quickly said BOB BOB. I wasn't sure what he wanted and after asking him what three times he sighed and screamed clear as day Sponge Bob!!!!! I was shocked. He does have Sponge Bob on his cap and on his toothbrush but that is the only exposure he really has had to him. Yet, he recognized him on a box that he had only seen once in the past. I am still surprised, but oh so proud.

I have to say all three of the wild creatures in this house have impressed me this morning. The only question left is........What will they do next?

No comments: