Monday, June 11, 2007

Sails, Grass, and Squirrels


Jason in his new bean bag chair (perfect for reading).
It seems as though every week I have a new project to report. Well..................this week you won't be disappointed. Mom and Dad came down so you know we had to do something big. We really didn't have anything planned except for relaxing and a little golf.

Saturday we stuck to that plan quite well. When they got here we brought Jason to ride his first 9 holes. Despite the high scores it was a great time. That is until the squirrel decided to make an appearance. For those of you that don't know, I have a history with squirrels. When we lived in Laramie two of them jumped on my back from the trees and I couldn't get them off. It was only a few seconds, but it seemed like an eternity. That was the point in time when I really realized how frightening those little rodents can be. Plus they carry the plague, have lice, and have fleas. They are just yucky and I don't like them in the least bit. When we golf we always bring drinks and with Jason there we needed snacks. I have these really cool containers that have a very small opening so that he can grab the snacks, but they don't fall out. For this particular outing I put tricks in that container. We just finished hole 4 when I looked up and there.......in the cart............was a squirrel eating out of Jason's container. I flipped out chasing him with my putter. I understand this must have been a funny sight, but it was a very serious moment for me. Then to top it off.......after mom and Jason were in the cart, he tried to get in with them. It was quite discusting and just made me dislike those creatures even more.
The shed (we haven't finished the doors)





The next morning the project of the weekend started. Colin and I had purchased a kit for a shed because it was on sale. Thinking it would be a simple project, Dad suggested he and Colin tackle it in the morning. Once the small box was opened it was clear that this would take longer than a couple of hours. There was the makings of an 8'X10' shed in a 3'X5'X6" box. It was like opening one of those peanut cans with the snakes in it. Mom and I left to get some groceries at that point. When we returned at noon Colin was holding a sheet of metal and dad was frantically trying to screw it to the floor assembly. We quickly jumped in to hold the flapping metal in the wind and offer as much assistance as we could. This is the point that Colin and Dad gave us some advice that we would like to share. If the instructions caution you about stopping the project if there is going to be any chance of wind, take it to heart. They aren't joking or saying it just for fun. Colin and Dad learned this lesson the hard way, but we did get the shed finished. The tin worked well as sails and it was a challenge, but it is finished and we now have a place to store our yard equipment. Thank you Mom and Dad for helping with that.



Our Grass!!
Today we had another milestone. I mowed the yard for the first time. It is coming in so well. The spots that look bare even have little blades of grass starting to come up. so in a couple of weeks it will all be lush. We love it. I hope all of you had great weekends as well. Happy belated birthday Beermaker. Have a great week everyone.......................

1 comment:

Maggie said...

Is that my guest room?