Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Eat On!!!!

For me cooking is just a hobby that keeps our bellies from growling. I love to put ingredients together and have them turn into something so tasty that it is hard to stop eating. I look at recipes and put my own twist on them based on my family’s taste preferences. The cold months are my favorite by far. This is when my whole house smells wonderful. When it is hot I grill, cook a little on the stove. That really makes me get creative, but the cold weather comfort foods are the best in my book. So, here we are waiting for more snow to fall and I have a meal that I can’t wait to get in the oven. Today we are having scalloped potatoes, roasted ham, asparagus, and salad. My house is going to smell amazing. Here is a recipe for scalloped potatoes that just sounded great. You can substitute garlic for onions, cream for milk or any other cheese you like, but this is what I had in my pantry. Also, if you garnish with some parsley…… BEAUTIFUL!!!! I hope everyone enjoys. Have fun and now to get cooking.

Three Cheese Scalloped Potatoes with Onions

INGREDIENTS
1 1/2 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes, thinly sliced
2 tablespoons butter, divided
1 pint 1% milk
2 medium onions, thinly sliced
salt and pepper to taste
2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
4 slices provolone cheese
1/2 cup grated Parmesan


DIRECTIONS

Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C). Grease a 1 1/2 quart or larger casserole dish with butter or nonstick spray.

Layer the potato slices in the bottom of the casserole dish. Dot with some of the butter cut or pinched into small pieces. Arrange the onion slices over the potatoes, and then pour some of the milk over. Sprinkle part of the Cheddar cheese over the layer, and season with salt and pepper.

Repeat layering of potatoes, onions, cream and Cheddar cheese, then top with the slices of provolone cheese. Season again with salt and pepper.
Bake for 1/2 hour in the preheated oven, and then sprinkle the Parmesan cheese over the top. This will create a semi-hard cheese crust.

Continue baking uncovered for another 30 minutes, or until potatoes is tender when tested with a fork.

No comments: