Thursday, November 13, 2008

So much in so little time

The title of this post says it all. The last two weeks have been so full of ups and downs. It began on Halloween when we packed up our stuff in Casper into a large truck and headed for Thermopolis. Thanks to Dad, Dave (my brother in law) and Colin, we got done very fast. Then we started the unpacking process. Our rental is very nice. It has 3 very large bedrooms and 1 full bath and two half baths. It is a little dated (complete with an automated lazy susan on the island), but is beautiful and has a lot of space for the kids to play and run. We have a few herds of deer that call our yard home. We live in the middle of town too. But, deer still press their noses against our front window and bed down in our lawn at night. It is refreshing and wonderful. We could never have predicted that we would have these experiences living in town.

One of our first stops when we got into Thermopolis was the library. Jason started to go to story time there and it has been quite a treat. They read books, sing, dance, play and do art work. It is so much fun to watch Jason playing with the other kids. One day when we got back from story time we arrived at the house to find a large buck in the lawn. When I got out of the car to scare it away it proceeded to chase me. I quickly jumped back in the car and pondered what I could do next. So, after giving him a minute to cool down, I finally succeeded at scaring the creature away. Deer are crazy when they are in the rut.

Last Friday we took a break from unpacking and went to Cody so that Jason could see the eye doctor. Normally two year olds don't have to go in to get their eyes checked, but an eye test at his developmental screening found problems. He then had to go in for two different appointments at the optometrist. In the first they found he was far sited but couldn't tell the exact prescription until they dilated his eyes. So that is why we went in last Friday. Jason was just the best kid through all of the trauma. We found out that our precious little man is nearly blind. His eyes are very bad and he has to have glasses (They will distort his face quite a bit too). They will be in this week sometime. Jason was pretty excited over the idea of glasses while all I could do was wonder, how do you keep glasses on a two year old and how do you keep him from breaking them. I guess we will find out sooner than later. It will be exciting when he first puts them on, because it will be the first time he has ever seen anything clear. It turns out he has only been able to see blurs of color for his entire life. The optometrist said that it is a true miracle that he isn't cross eyed or have other problems because his eyes are just that bad. One thing I have learned from this experience is please bring your children in for developmental screenings, it is very important. You might find something out that could save your child from a whole lot of grief and pain in the future. They are free and worth more than words can describe.

After the eye drama, we started to hear rumors that people were seriously looking at our house again. This wasn't all that big of a surprise and I didn't take it to heart since we have heared this many times. Then Monday I was told that there were two, possibly three couples considering puting offers in within two days. I was still skeptical and wouldn't believe it until I saw it. This was followed by an offer, day before yesterday. The price was right, but the terms were funky. So, Colin and I countered with new terms and a new closing date. I wasn't holding my breath, but they accepted it and our house is now UNDER CONTRACT!!!!! YEAH!!!! Now we have to make it through inspections. If everything goes well, we will close on the 22nd of December!!! The best part is that it is a young family. Our house will have a family in it for Christmas. There will be giggles running up and down the hallway and a little one to sled down the hill in the back yard. This brings me so much comfort since I care for our house very much and want someone to love it as much as we have.

So, as you can see the last two weeks have been somewhat of a roller coaster. But, we just keep on trucking and taking things as they come. I hope all of you are doing well and I will post more pictures when I get a chance. Hopefully I will have some of Jason in his new glasses too. Take care everyone........

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Lori and Colin,

I no longer have a valid e-mail for you, but I ran across your blog in my favorites. Steve has had severe vision problems since birth. I'll ask him about wearing glasses. Do you still have my e-mail? Can you send yours?

Julia is a freshman at MIT after spending a year in Austria as an exchange student. She is now fluent in German. Heather just started high school. - Aunt Wendy