Saturday, November 22, 2008

Clicks and giggles

This morning I slept in just like every other weekend morning. I get up with the boys (last night they really didn't want to sleep) in the middle of the night and Colin gets up with them early in the morning (they rise around 5 am). Needless to say, we were all very tired today since by sleeping in I mean 7:30 at the latest. I just can't sleep any later than that. On with the story.

Seeing the boys and Colin had accomplished a lot this morning, I felt like I had to get the garage cleaned out enough so that we could fit both cars in it. So I went to work. By the time I was done I was feeling pretty good about myself and was pretty excited that both cars were indoors. But, I was still pretty tired. I decided I had better vacuum before taking a shower so I ran through that project. Thinking that a shower would help me wake up a little bit I made it pretty high on my list this morning. Just as I was getting ready to get in the shower I heard a sound. It kind of sounded like a series of clicks... almost like a cricket, but a little different. Flashbacks of the cricket hunt in Casper flashed through my head. Then I heard the sound again. So, I postponed my shower for a few minutes to try to find the source of the sound. Despite my efforts I couldn't find where the sound was coming from so I got in the shower. While I was washing my hair I wondered...... Could I have imagined the noise? I am pretty tired........ By the time I was clean I convinced myself that must be it... I must be tired. But, when I got out I heard the noise again. So I got dressed and began to look. But, whatever was making the sound must have stopped. Forgetting about the wild chase I went into the livingroom to play with the boys.

Then Colin went down the hall toward the bedrooms. After he had been gone for a while I saw him in the hallway staring blindly at a wall. When I asked him what he was doing, he said "You will think I am crazy." Finally he admitted that he heard a strange noise.... possibly a cricket. But, he was sure that he was just really tired and hearing things. He was just so thankful that I heard it too. Colin was a little worried that his next stop would be the funny farm.

After a good bit of laughing we decided that we had better find out where the noise was coming from. So we went to every room and waited for the cricket noise to start. If you can picture ears on doors, floors and walls........ you are beginning to get the idea of how crazy we looked. Jason got right in on the hunt. We both kind of expected to find a little bug. The closets were emptied out and we couldn't find a thing. After quite a bit of time passed and we were just about ready to give in and just live with the annoyance, we realized it was in the hallway. Could it be in one of the light fixtures? Just as Colin was removing a globe from one of the lights, the sound went off again. It was the smoke detector. Not only was the battery dead, but the alarm was worn out. It actually sounded like a cricket.

The moral of the story is, if you think you have a cricket in your house, check the smoke detectors. Have a good one.

No comments: